Pulmonary Fibrosis is a lung disease that takes place when lung tissue gets damaged as well as scarred. The tissue which becomes thick and stiff makes it more difficult for the lungs in your body to properly function. As the condition of pulmonary fibrosis becomes worse, it becomes more difficult for you to breathe. Pulmonary fibrosis scarring may take place due to several factors. Doctors cannot find out the exact cause in most cases. This condition is termed idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
It is not possible to repair the damage of lungs caused by pulmonary fibrosis. However, with the help of medications and therapies the symptoms can be eased and the quality of life can also be improved. We have some of the Best Pulmonologist in India for the treatment of Pulmonary Fibrosis.
A lung transplant may also be appropriate in the case of some patients. Vanya Health offers a number of lung treatments for a variety of diseases from childhood to adulthood with our world-class team of doctors and well-experienced support team.
Causes of Pulmonary Fibrosis:
The causes of Pulmonary Fibrosis can be divided into four parts which are discussed below in detail.
Occupational and environmental factors:
Exposure to some toxins and pollutants for a long period of time can damage your lungs. These include:
- Coal dust
- Grain dust
- Hard metal dust
- Asbestos fibers
- Silica dust
- Bird and animal droppings
A few months after receiving treatment, certain patients receiving radiation therapy for lung and breast cancer may show signs of lung damage. The gravity of the damage may depend on the following:
- The total amount of radiation administered
- The portion of the lung that was exposed to radiation
- The presence of underlying lung disease
- Whether chemotherapy also was used
There are some drugs that can damage your lungs. These are:
- Heart medications. The drugs for treating irregular heartbeats, such as amiodarone may also harm your lung tissues. These are Pacerone, Nexterone and Cordarone.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs. The Anti-inflammatory drugs which can cause lung damage are Sulfasalazine and Rituximab.
- Chemotherapy drugs. The drugs for killing cancer cells, such as methotrexate can damage our lung tissues. These are Cyclophosphamide, Otrexup and Trexall.
- Some antibiotics. Antibiotics that can cause lung damage are Ethambutol, Macrodantin, Nitrofurantoin, and Macrobid.
Lung damage and breathing problems may take place due to a number of conditions, like:
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Mixed connective tissue disease
What are the symptoms of pulmonary fibrosis?
The effects of Pulmonary Fibrosis are not similar for everyone. However, if you notice any, you can quickly book an appointment with us and Consult the Best Pulmonologist in India Online.
Some of the common symptoms are:
- Shortness of breath at the time or after exercise.
- Unintentional weight loss.
- Dry cough that doesn’t go away.
- Fatigue or extreme tiredness.
- Breathing in short, shallow spurts.
Some people may experience the following as the disease progresses:
- Clubbing, fingertips, or toes may look different, like wider or more round.
- Fair-skinned people may experience cyanosis and bluish skin. Dark-skinned people may experience white or gray skin around the mouth or eyes. This is due to too little oxygen level in the blood.
The risk factors of pulmonary fibrosis may sound scary but Don’t worry; it can be treated in the Top Pulmonology Hospital in India with us.
Given below are some of the risk factors:
- Cancer treatments: Radiation treatments in the chest and chemotherapy drugs can increase the chances of damage to the lungs. However, it is much needed treatment as it helps in killing any remaining cancer cells in the body.
- Genetic factors: There may also be some genetic which run in families.
- Smoking: Smokers and former smokers are at more risk for pulmonary fibrosis than non-smokers.
- Certain occupations: People working in mines, farms, and construction who are exposed to pollutants are more at risk for pulmonary fibrosis.
- Age: Middle and old age is riskier for pulmonary fibrosis.
- Sex: Men are at more risk than women for Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
Choose Your Best Option With Us:
We always aim to provide the best Lung Treatment in India for all kinds of patients of all ages. If you are having pulmonary fibrosis, you are most likely to see a pulmonologist for regular follow-up in the long term. Your healthcare provider will work with you on a regular basis in order to preserve your lung function and maintain the highest possible quality of life. In order to treat the ways pulmonary fibrosis affects you, they will assist you in finding the right combination of your medication, your supportive care, and your clinical trials. You can connect with our pulmonary fibrosis support group at Vanya Health and receive tips and advice from patients who have faced similar kinds of challenges in their lives.