The last few decades have brought a significant change in our lifestyle. The way we are living today, sitting for hours in front of the laptop and eating the most easily accessed junk food has troubled our digestive systems immensely. Anything that affects or changes our normal food habits and physical activities can lead to several stomach issues.
Consultation with a gastroenterologist will be advised if you are experiencing abnormal bowel movements, rectal bleeding, frequent heartburn, bloating, abdominal pain, trouble swallowing and this all happens due to irregular and unhealthy food habits and bad lifestyle habits.
If you are experiencing mild symptoms that do not harm your normal activities then visit a normal physician or your family doctor for a quick check-up, and if you are facing terrible pain then you will have to see a Gastroenterologist. Here, we will discuss who is a Gastroenterologist and a few signs that suggest that you must get an appointment with a Gastroenterologist.
What is a Gastroenterologist?
Now, you will think the above-discussed problems can also be treated by a normal physician too then why do we have to see a Gastroenterologist.
Gastroenterologists also called ‘GI doctors’ treat problems and diseases of the digestive system and are experts in how the digestive system works. Other than treating the problems they also help both adults and children learn what they need to do to keep their system healthy. General physicians are not specialized in treating the digestive system, they can help you get relief if the problem you are facing is minor while gastroenterologists are specialists, you can find the best gastroenterologist in India.
Here are the signs that suggest it may be time to see a Gastroenterologist:
- Constipation: Constipation is a condition in which a person has bowel movements less than three times a week. However, if the stool is hard to pass then this condition should not be ignored. In that case, you should immediately consider consulting a gastroenterologist. Causes of Constipation can be acute and chronic. Acute cases occur due to dehydration, acute intestinal obstruction, and acute appendicitis. Chronic cases can be anal fissure, inflammatory Bowel Syndrome, decreased fiber residue, or endocrine and metabolic diseases. Psychological diseases like depression can also be the cause of constipation.
- Heartburn/ Acid Reflux: It is the painful burning feeling in the chest and throat. If you are a fan of spicy food and junk food you might have experienced this sort of pain very often. Heartburn happens when acid backs up into the esophagus (food pipe). There are various other reasons causing heartburn like consumption of alcohol, pregnancy, and certain types of food. In this case, it is advised to visit a gastroenterologist because over time the heartburn can damage the food pipe. Fortunately, the medical field has evolved in such a way now you can even consult a Gastroenterologist in India online.
- Loss of Appetite: It seems a normal problem but if you are losing interest in eating food or feeling nauseated at the sight of food, then there might be an underlying condition affecting your digestive system. A detailed examination is needed to find the reason behind this. There can be many reasons causing loss of appetite; it can be diseases related to gastrointestinal organs, liver diseases like hepatitis and cirrhosis, chronic renal failure, or malignancies like stomach and pancreas cancer. The gastroenterologist can find the real reason causing loss of appetite.
- Nausea and Vomiting: Nausea is the unpleasant feeling of discomfort experienced by people before vomiting. There are possible causes of nausea and vomiting which may be related to gastrointestinal conditions. If you are experiencing frequent nausea and persistent vomiting you should consult a gastroenterologist immediately. The specialist can help diagnose the underlying cause.
- Diarrhea: It is just the opposite of constipation. While using the restroom, patients might experience watery or loose stool. Diarrhea indicates that your digestive system has some problems. It can also happen due to poor hygiene practices and unsanitary habits. However, if you are facing this condition regularly then it is high time to consult a gastroenterologist.
- Inflammation of the tongue: Inflammation of the tongue, also called Glossitis, indicates the soreness and redness of the tongue. It causes the tongue to swell, changes its color, and develops a different appearance on the surface. There can be many reasons causing glossitis some of them are B complex deficiency, megaloblastic anemia, cirrhosis, tuberculosis, etc. it is advised to visit your doctor as soon as possible and he may refer you to a gastroenterologist if the condition needs special attention.
To sum it up:
Gastrointestinal problems are common and varied. Mild cases can be treated with the help of a general physician, however, if the problem remains for a longer time and if it causes severe pain, it is better not to wait instead to visit a gastroenterologist. If you are facing any trouble visiting the doctor, video consultation with the best gastroenterologist in India is also possible, thanks to the evolved methods of medicine.