Children are precious gifts and the pregnancy period is a time to cherish. If you are diagnosed with diseases like Diabetes and high blood pressure for the first time during this crucial time of your life and are confused about your baby’s safety, relax. With advancements made in medical technology you can overcome all these hurdles.
It is essential to understand that high levels of blood sugar during pregnancy can affect your baby’s health. However, the good news is that you will be able to prevent or control diabetes during pregnancy time, by eating a nutritious diet, exercising and taking a few medications recommended by your doctor.
Avoid diabetes complications during delivery and maintain good health of your baby, by controlling blood sugar levels. Generally, the blood sugar level fluctuations you experience in your pregnancy will return back to normal healthy levels after the baby is born. If you get diabetes during your second pregnancy too, then it might be a sign that you might be getting diabetes in the future. You may seek help from the best endocrinologist in India and test regularly to check if the blood sugar levels are under control.
Symptoms of diabetes
Diabetes occurrence during the pregnancy period may not cause any noticeable symptoms. Frequent urination and increased feeling of thirst, are a few symptoms that you might experience.
When to consult with the doctor
If possible, it is wise to consult your doctor even before becoming pregnant and check your overall health condition and medical history, to see if you have any risk of getting diabetes during pregnancy. This will help the doctors to keep your blood sugar maintained in normal levels and avoid any harm to your baby's health.
Usually, you may get diabetes during the last 3 or 4 months of pregnancy. Your gynaecologist will be monitoring the health of your baby and checking your blood sugar level from the time you are confirmed to be pregnant. Therefore, they will be able to treat the diabetic symptoms at the earliest and protect you and your baby from any other complications.
Causes of diabetes during pregnancy
The cause of diabetes during pregnancy time in some women is still unknown. However, it is better to keep your body healthier, by acknowledging the following causes and avoiding a few symptoms.
- Excess weight or obesity could be considered as one of the basic reasons for gestational pregnancy.
- During the pregnancy your body will be experiencing diverse ranges of hormonal imbalance, which makes it difficult for the body to keep blood sugar levels under control.
- Diabetes occurs during pregnancy when your body is not able to produce the extra doses of insulin that is required during this crucial period.
- Thus, when your pregnant body cannot produce enough levels of insulin, automatically your blood sugar levels increase resulting in gestational diabetes.
- If you are not physically active during pregnancy.
- Prediabetes conditions.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Family history with diabetes.
Medical Tourism Company can assists patients in planning their medical travel by providing complete information on service providers, medical facilities, travel agencies, and the best medical professionals in India.
Complications of gestational diabetes
- If the diabetes is not managed carefully, it can lead to various complications such as increased chances of C section delivery.
- High blood sugar levels can cause the baby to be born with excessive weight, during the time of delivery.
- Preterm or early birth may happen, due to diabetes.
- Babies exposed to diabetes as a foetus are at risk of getting diabetes from their mother. They might be born with health issues such as low blood sugar levels, respiratory distress syndrome, and with higher risk of getting diabetes 2 and obese in the future.
- You may experience high blood pressure even after delivery of the baby.
- If you have gestational diabetes, you are more likely to develop diabetic symptoms during your second pregnancy as well and also you have the risk of getting type 2 diabetes in the future.
Tips for preventing gestational diabetes
1. Nutritious diet
Consuming small portions of healthy foods that are rich in fibre content and low in calories and fat at regular intervals is very important. Include whole grains, vegetables and fruits in your everyday diet. You can eat a variety of tasty recipes that are nutritious and delicious, to keep you and your body happy and healthy.
Keeping your body active and strong with a proper exercising routine during pregnancy will help in avoiding diabetes. Starting with a goal of least 30 minutes of moderate exercises can do wonders to you and your baby's health. Brisk walk and swim laps are also good choices for keeping your pregnancy smooth.
3. Gaining ideal weight
Avoid gaining more than recommended weight during your pregnancy period. The excess weight that you gain is unhealthy and can increase your chances of developing diabetes.
However, it is essential that you Consult endocrinologist in India online about the best nutritional diet to follow, tips to avoid obesity, and also safest form of physical exercises to practice when you are pregnant.
For a personalised treatment plan,video consultation with top doctors.
Click the below button