Are you experiencing pain while urinating or did you see blood in urine, then it’s high time to see the doctor? The question is which type of doctor should you see? The very common question that arises in the patients is whom to see, a Urologist or Nephrologist. It is somewhat confusing as a Urologist and Nephrologist both doctors treat conditions of the kidneys. To understand whom to consult, you must understand the difference between nephrologists and urologists.
What are Urologists and what are they specialized in?
Urologists are a doctor specialized in treating, diagnosing and preventing diseases and conditions related to the urinary tract in men and women. They also treat the male reproductive system. Urologists treat a variety of issues and in India, some experienced doctors are known for their best treatments and the best thing is you can even consult Urologist online in India, they are specialized in treating in:
- Incontinence: It is a condition where a person leaks urine by accident.
- Erectile dysfunction: It is an inability to get and keep an erection firm enough for sex.
- Peyronie’s disease: It is a disease where scar tissue causes the penis to curve or lose length or girth.
- Urinary tract infections (UTI): It is an infection in any part of the urinary system, the kidneys, bladder and urethra.
- Pelvic prolapse problems: It is a condition when one or more of the organs in the pelvis slip down from their normal position and bulge into the vagina.
- Cancers of the bladder, penis, testicles, and adrenal and prostate glands.
Some conditions that are specific to women that urologists treat are:
- Bladder prolapse, a condition in which the bladder bulges into the vagina.
- Cancers of the bladder.
- Urinary incontinence.
- Bladder or kidney stones that affect the urinary tract.
How to find an expert Urologist?
You can take help from your primary doctor or else there are various medical tourism companies like Vanya Health, they have a list of entrusted doctors of various specializations and they also help in consulting the doctors online.
What are Nephrologists and what are they specialized in?
Nephrologists are doctors specialized in the care and function of kidneys. They diagnose, treat, and prevent diseases related to the kidneys. They are specialized in treating patients whose kidneys are at or near failure or those with kidney disease and hypertension.
Additionally, they also treat people with high blood pressure because kidneys are responsible for filtering the blood which can be greatly impacted by blood pressure.
The Nephrologist is specialized in treating:
- Glomerulonephritis: It is a kind of kidney disease that involves damage to the glomeruli, tiny filters inside the kidneys.
- Hypertension: Hypertension is another name for high blood pressure. It can lead to severe health complications and increase the risk of heart disease, stroke and sometimes death.
- Kidney stones: It is a solid mass made up of tiny crystals. It is a solid stone that usually originates in the kidneys.
- Ureteral obstruction: It is a blockage in one or both of the tubes that carry urine from your kidneys to your bladder.
- Kidney cancer: It is a disease in which kidney cells become malignant cancerous and grow out of control, forming a tumor.
- Kidney Disease (including acute and chronic cases as well as diabetic nephropathy).
A nephrologist can also be involved in other factors that cause dysfunction or kidney disease which includes:
- High blood pressure
- Heart Disease
- Autoimmune conditions
How to find a nephrologist?
If you want to consult a nephrologist, your primary doctor will be able to refer to a specialized doctor. If in case you are not able to reach your doctor then you can check on other options too. Consulting nephrologists is now possible online, teleconsultation with a nephrologist in India has been a huge relief for the patients during pandemic many patients were benefited through this.
Which one do I choose?
As we discussed above the specialization, it’s easy to understand that urologists specialize in treating bladder, penis, testicle, urinary tract, and male reproductive system while nephrologists specialize in treating issues related to kidneys.
Since all of these are related, the confusion arises on how to choose between the two? Just to make it easier, you have to keep only one thing in mind: If you have any issue related to kidneys or kidney function you must consult a nephrologist. They have all the knowledge, education, training, and experience which are necessary to diagnose, treat and prevent both common and complex kidney problems. The kidney treatment in India is very reliable, India is already a behemoth in the medicine world and now teleconsultation in India has also gained a foothold.
At times there are many issues that occur in the bladder or urinary tract that derive from an underlying problem in the kidneys. This is where the nephrologist is the best medical professional to treat kidney-related problems, you will also have to see a urologist in addition to a nephrologist. Both the specialized doctors will work together to ensure you get the needed medical treatment.
To summarize, Nephrologists specially treat kidney-related diseases and urologists treat conditions of the urinary tract and sometimes they work together for a certain case, it all depends on the condition and situation you are experiencing. But it is always advisable to consult your primary doctor before making any decisions, they’ll be able to do an initial examination and recommend you to the right doctor and sometimes they can even give you a reference of the specialized doctor
For a personalised treatment plan,video consultation with top doctors.
Click the below button