Colon cancer is a kind of cancer that roots in the large intestine that is also known as the colon and it is the end part of the digestive tract. Although it can happen at any age, this type of cancer commonly occurs in older adults and it starts as tiny noncancerous lumps of cells that are called polyps generating inside of the colon. And after a certain period of time, these polyps turn into colon cancers. Considering that polyps are significantly small in size and they might show few or no symptoms at all. That is why the cancer specialists in India recommend regular screening to prevent colon cancer for identifying and eliminating polyps before they can turn out to be cancerous. For colon cancer treatment in India, various treatments are available and control of this disease include surgery, radiation therapy, drug treatments like chemotherapy, immunotherapy and targeted therapy. While you’re on the topic, you must know that colon cancer is also referred to as colorectal cancer which is formed with colon cancer, and rectal cancer at the same time which begins in the rectum.
What are The Symptoms of Colon Cancer?
- Constant changes in your bowel habits, which may include diarrhea, constipation, or difference in the consistency of your stool
- The appearance of blood in the stool or rectal bleeding
- Persistent discomfort in your abdomen abdominal discomforts like cramps, gas, or pain
- A constant feeling that your bowel is heavy
- Weakness or fatigue even without doing anything
- Unexplained weight loss
Sometimes people who have colon cancer experience no symptoms in the early stages of facing this disease. When the symptoms of colon cancer appear, they'll likely differ from one person to another depending upon the cancer size and its location in the large intestine of the patient.
When should one consult a doctor?
If persistent symptoms appear then you must seek colon cancer treatment in India by making an appointment with the best oncologists available here.
Talk with any cancer specialist in India about when you should start getting colon cancer screening. The given guidelines usually suggest that colon cancer screenings begin around the age of 50. Sometimes your doctor may recommend more often or earlier screening if you are exposed to other risk factors that might include a family history of colon cancer.
Causes of Colon Cancer:
It is very hard to determine what exactly causes colon cancers, however, the best oncologists in India suggest that colon cancer starts when healthy cells in the colon start to get mutated in its DNA. Healthy cells generate and divide in a natural and orderly way to let the human body operate normally. But when its DNA is tampered with and gets cancerous, then the cells keep dividing themselves even if it is not needed. Once the cells start to accumulate, they take the form of a tumor. As time passes by, the cancer cells grow too much and destroy the normal tissues around them and also travel to other parts of the body and deposit there.
Factors increasing the risk of colon cancer:
- Older age increases the risk of developing Colon cancer although it can be diagnosed at any age. The majority of people coming for colon cancer treatment in India are older than 50.
- People from the African-American race are known to have a greater risk of colon cancer than other races.
- Chronic inflammatory conditions of the colon including ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease usually increase the risk of colon cancer in people.
- Inherited syndromes, gene mutations, familial adenomatous polyposis, and Lynch syndrome, also known as hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer that increase colon cancer risk.
- Having a Family history of colon cancer, the patients are more likely to get colon cancer. People with more than one family member affected by colon cancer or rectal cancer, are exposed to greater risk if having it.
- Consumption of a diet that is low in fiber and a high-fat diet can be a major reason behind Colon cancer and rectal cancer. Some studies have also found that there is an increased risk of colon cancer in people who take diets that consist of red and processed meat.
- People who have an inactive lifestyle are more likely to develop colon cancer.
- Diabetic patients or people who are insulin resistant are at an increased risk of colon cancer
- Obesity, smoking, alcohol, radiation therapy for cancer are some of the other reasons that cause Colon cancer.
Vanya Health is working as the one-stop destination for patients traveling from all across the world for colon cancer treatment in India. It not only helps the patients to find the top cancer hospitals in India but also offers consultation in terms of budget, treatment plans, and the availability of the best oncologists.