Head & Neck Cancer is the term used for describing various types of malignant tumours that are developed in the nose, ears, mouth, tongue, salivary glands, voice box and throat. Almost thirty percentage of head & neck cancers prevailing across the globe.
Chewing tobacco could be considered as the major cause of Head & Neck Cancer. Tobacco smoking will optimize the risk of developing different types of cancer. You can consult with the Best Oncologist in India to diagnose your health.
Tobacco includes cigars, cigarettes, pipes, snuff use or chewing tobacco. Studies have shown that around 80% of head & neck cancer are caused by tobacco. The amount of tobacco and cigarettes smoked will affect the diagnosis and recovery period.
Symptoms and signs of Head & Neck Cancer
Patients having Head and Neck Cancer will experience certain symptoms such as pain, nausea or fatigue. But not all the following symptoms mean that the patient is suffering from cancer. However, it is essential that you consult with your doctor if you experience any of the following symptoms.
- Most commonly observed symptoms include swelling that does not heal.
- White or red coloured patches are seen in the mouth.
- Mass, or bump or lump might be felt in the neck or head region, along with or without pain.
- If you are persistently affected by a sore throat.
- Though you practice hygienic routines regularly, you might have bad oral hygiene or bad breath.
- Changes or hoarseness in voice.
- Nasal congestion occurs persistently.
- You might experience unusual discharge or bleeding frequently.
- Breathing difficulties.
- Weakness or numbness experienced in certain parts of the body in the neck and head areas.
- Difficulty or pain caused while moving the tongue or when swallowing, or chewing.
- Blood found in the phlegm or saliva.
- Teeth loosen and dentures do not fit.
- Sudden weight loss without any reason.
- Ear infection or pain.
- Fatigue feeling.
If you are experiencing any of the above-mentioned symptoms, it is essential that you immediately seek help from Top Cancer Hospitals in India.
Diagnosis of cancer
If you are experiencing any of the above-mentioned symptoms, it is very important that you discuss the issues with your general physician. The doctor may perform few basic examinations and recommend best Oncologist if the tests shows any abnormalities. The Oncologist may conduct neck mass screening test or a biopsy test to evaluate if there is the presence of any tumours or cancerous cells. Biopsy is a procedure where the tissue from the tumour or mass in the neck areas is collected and analysed for cancers or infections etc.
Treatments for Head & Neck Cancer
If the biopsy results reveal that you have Head & Neck Cancer, then you need to start treatment immediately. Mostly, if this type of cancer is found in the early stages, it can be cured by taking medications and therapies.
Chief cancer treatments in India for Head & Neck Cancer cure are surgery to remove the tumour, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, and targeted therapy. Usually your oncologist will recommend any of the therapies as a treatment option or surgery with a combination of therapies like radiation or Chemotherapy in India.
Treatments and recommendations from your doctors will depend on various factors:
- Treatment depends upon the stages of Head & Neck cancer development.
- Risk Factors and possible side effects for the particular patient.
- Overall health condition of the patient.
Take time to discuss with your oncologist about your cancer stage, the treatment options available and what you can expect during the treatment process.
How does tobacco cause Head & Neck Cancer?
1. Smoke from tobacco
The smoke inhaled from pipes, cigars and cigarettes consists of more than 60 harmful chemicals such as nicotine that cause cancer. These hazardous chemicals enter into your blood and carry them to every part of your body, which causes severe damage and the development of abnormal cancerous cells.
2. Second-hand smoke
The smoke from tobacco products is not only dangerous to the people smoking but also around them. Therefore, if you smoke tobacco products, then you are risking the lives of your precious kids, family and friends as well.
3. Smokeless tobacco
Smokeless tobacco products that include chewing and dipping tobacco can also cause Head & Neck Cancer.
4. Electronic cigarettes
The mist from electronic cigarettes is made by heating harmful chemicals, the addictive drug nicotine and flavourings in a liquid. Therefore, E-cigarettes are also dangerous for the person inhaling them and also people around them who inhale the mist.
Tips to prevent Head & Neck Cancer
Two basic things that you should do for preventing cancer from your life are the following:
- If you are not using any type of tobacco products currently, then – DO NOT START!
- If you have already started using tobacco products then – QUIT IMMEDIATELY!
Quitting at any stages of tobacco addiction can do wonders to your health and reduce the risk of Head & Neck Cancer. If the nicotine addiction is making it hard to quit, there are counselling and other therapies for overcoming the addiction and restoration of your health.
Vanya Health Medical Tourism Company representing highly qualified Doctors and surgeons providing premium healthcare services to people struggling with Head & Neck Cancer across the globe. Seek help and rejuvenate your drooping health and spirits!
For a personalised treatment plan,video consultation with top doctors.
Click the below button