If you are going through a phase of anxiety because you were diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm and your doctors have recommended surgery, relax and read this article for detailed information. You can have a second opinion with the Best cardiologist in India for accomplishing the best team of surgeons to perform the surgery and endure a speedy recovery.
What is an aortic aneurysm?
Aorta is the largest artery that transports blood from your heart to your entire body. When this large blood vessel expands and bulges out of the diaphragm, it is called an aortic aneurysm.
The inner walls of a healthy aorta are thick and strong. But these layers of walls can become weak due to genetic conditions or various health problems. When the normal flow of the bloodstream keeps consistently pushing through the weak fragile walls it causes swelling. This bulge looks like a balloon and is called an aneurysm.
The aneurysm starts growing large over a period and might suddenly burst to cause an emergency medical condition. You need to Consult the Best Cardiologist Online in India for the best treatment as soon as possible. If the bulge is smaller in size the Doctors will treat the condition with medications but for a larger bulge, they might suggest surgery.
Surgeries To treat aortic aneurysm
Your Cardiologist will recommend two types of surgeries for treating an aortic aneurysm.
- Open chest or open Abdominal repair
- Endovascular repair
1. Open Abdominal or Open Chest Repair
This open artery repair surgical procedure is the most commonly recommended treatment and it is a risky procedure. The doctors will perform the surgery by opening the body part and repairing the bulged aorta. The weak fragile part of your aorta will be replaced with a graft or tube that is made of specially prepared fabric. Let us analyse the process in detail.
- The first step of the aortic aneurysm surgical procedure starts by making you lie down on the surgery bed and preparing you for the procedure.
- Next, the anaesthesiologist will enter the operation theatre to provide you with general anesthesia. They will give you the correct dosage of anesthesia to keep you unconscious throughout the surgery.
- The surgeon will operate in the chest area or abdomen, depending on the region aneurysm bulging is located.
- During the procedure of removing an aneurysm from above the regions of the heart, heart-lung equipment will be attached to keep you connected and breathing without any complications.
- The surgeon will be using clamps to restrict blood flow below and above the aneurysm.
- Next, the surgeon will cut and remove that portion of aorta swelling and replace it by inserting a fresh graft made of fabric.
- This attached graft will now allow blood to flow freely through the aorta without any bulging and interruption.
- Clamps inserted will be removed from the aneurysm to allow the blood to flow freely once again.
The surgery procedures can be performed by skilled surgeons in the Top Cardiac hospitals in India. Operating time can vary from 6 hours and might vary according to the patient’s health condition. Post-operation you will be staying in the hospital for 5 to 7 days until the doctors are satisfied with the progress. The recovery period will last for one or two months.
After the open chest repair surgery cardiologist will prescribe medications for preventing blood clotting and for prevention of fluids accumulated cells. You might require physiotherapy exercises for speedy recovery and mobilization.
You can take bath after the surgical wounds on the outer part are healed. The postoperative recovery period might be challenging as there will be weakness and pain, which can be recovered over time.
You must sleep properly, eat the healthier diet recommended and regularly follow a proper exercise routine. You might have a heavy sensation in your chest and may require a breathing support system for keeping your breathing pattern flawless.
Usually, patients who have undergone open-chest repair surgery will require up to 2 months period to completely recover from the surgical weakness.
2. Endovascular repair surgery
Endovascular repair therapy is the best option for those patients who do not prefer open chest or open Abdominal aortic surgery. In this procedure, the surgeon will insert a stent graft using a catheter or thin flexible tube. This stent can support the walls of arteries that are weak and broken. If you are searching for a genuine dedicated and experienced cardiologist in India then you can consult with Vanya Health Medical Tourism in India for proper guidance.
- Doctors will decide whether the patient will require anesthesia or not during the treatment according to their health conditions.
- The catheter is carefully inserted into the incision made in the groin and into the artery.
- A stent graft made from metal mesh coated with synthetic material is placed.
- A stent graft will be made to expand using a balloon placed at the catheter tip.
- The aneurysm will be protected from further bulging or explosion by the stent and the bloodstream starts flowing freely without any interruption.
Benefits of endovascular repair surgery
- A short period of hospitalization.
- Local anesthesia is used instead of General anesthesia.
- Minimal blood loss as only small incisions is made during the surgical procedures.
- Less stress and pressure on the heart reduce risks for patients with other health issues.
Usually, patients with no additional health complications will be able to recover to normal life in a 2 to 3 weeks period. Avoid lifting heavy objects and follow a healthy lifestyle to speed up the recovery period. Vanya Health Medical Tourism Company will guide you in accomplishing the best treatment from highly qualified Cardiologists and surgeons for the best results. Stay healthy and keep smiling